Friday, 04 Apr 2025

Abuse survivors in bid to seize Catholic properties after church fails to pay court costs

Abuse survivors in bid to seize Catholic properties after church fails to pay court costs


Abuse survivors in bid to seize Catholic properties after church fails to pay court costs
1.9 k views

Marist was ordered to pay the legal costs of three survivors, known to the courts as MM, MJ, and HG.

But the three survivors and their lawyers have already applied to seize Marist Brothers property.

MM said the public needed to be made aware that the church was using the money of church-goers to fight claims from survivors of clergy abuse.

MM is based in flood-ravaged Lismore. His house was inundated during the flooding disaster in the northern rivers earlier this year.

He said his lawyers have to withhold part of his settlement until Marist pays the legal costs. Meanwhile, he said the church was continuing to amass significant wealth.

A spokesperson for Marist said the costs payment was now being processed urgently.

you may also like

'I traveled for an entire year for free - and saved $15K'
  • by foxnews
  • descember 09, 2016
'I traveled for an entire year for free - and saved $15K'

Hailey Learmonth explored Australia without paying rent, thanks to pet sitting. She saved $15,000, lived on farms, and embraced remote work to travel on a budget.

read more